The International Food Protection Association (IAFP) has opened a nomination period for government sector candidates for the position of IAFP Secretary in 2023-2024.
The Secretary-Elect serves a five-year term on the IAFP Board of Directors. The deadline for nominations is Tuesday, October 11, 2022.
Information on the candidate for the position of secretary:
- Running for office involves a five-year commitment to the International Food Protection Association. The first year consists of occupying the position of secretary. Over the next few years, they rose to the position of vice-president, president-elect, and then president. They serve as Past President during their final year on the Board.
- Once elected, the new secretary should attend all board meetings at the next annual meeting. As a general rule, the board meets on the Friday (all day) preceding the annual meeting. They will officially take office at the close of the awards banquet on Wednesday evening, but are expected to attend and observe all board meetings held during the annual meeting. This provides valuable experience and reduces the learning curve for keeping up to date with board activities. In addition to the other meetings required at the annual meeting, the (new) board meets on Thursday mornings (until 1:00 p.m.) after the conclusion of the annual meeting.
- Travel expenses are paid by the Association to attend all meetings of the Executive Board, except Board meetings at the Annual Meeting. Travel and registration fees are not paid for Board members to attend the annual meeting. Additional nights required for board members to attend board meetings during the annual meeting will be provided at the expense of the association (this is usually the Thursday and Friday evenings preceding the annual meeting).
- The Management Board usually meets four times a year. Board meetings typically last one to two days. Spring and fall board meetings are normally held in Des Moines at the association office. The winter meeting takes place at the location of the next annual meeting, as does the summer meeting of the board of directors.
- Attendance at all meetings of the Board of Directors is required. Each meeting has a full agenda and documents are distributed prior to the meeting. It is the responsibility of each Board member to familiarize themselves with the items on the agenda before the Board meeting.
- During their year as president, they write, among other duties, a column intended for publication in Food Protection Trends (normally, 6 columns in the presidential year).
- If available, they may be invited to speak at IAFP affiliate meetings (in the United States and abroad). The IAFP is prepared to pay airfare to send them to these meetings and the affiliate group pays for local hotel, transportation and food costs.
- Organized campaigns for election to the post of IAFP Secretary are discouraged. Of course, they can encourage their friends and colleagues to vote for them, but additional solicitation becomes a drag on the process.
- The Association’s Policy and Procedures Manual is provided to the new Secretary and an orientation visit to the Des Moines office will be scheduled with the Executive Director. The orientation session must take place before the annual meeting and will familiarize the new secretary with the operations of the Association. They will meet the staff and be introduced to the various works carried out at the IAFP office. The orientation will provide essential information that will enable them to make informed decisions in their role on the board.
Nominators can send a letter of nomination and a biographical sketch by e-mail to:
Nominating Committee Chair
c/o David Tharp, [email protected]
International Food Protection Association
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, Click here.)