ORLANDO, Florida – Last week, incidents at three high schools in Seminole and Orange counties resulted in the arrest of at least 14 students for violence or threats.
Over the weekend, Orange County Superintendent Barbara Jenkins sent a message to OCPS families that no violence or threats of violence, real or far-fetched, will be tolerated.
In early December, a scuffle led to a shootout outside Carver Middle School in Orlando. Police said the shots came from a 13-year-old boy who attended a nearby private school.
No injuries were reported during this incident.
On Monday, Vicki-Elaine Felder, a member of the Orange County Public Schools District 5 school board, will host a community meeting to discuss the safety of students in the community surrounding Carver Middle School and Eccleston Elementary School.
Felder said they will bring together police, city and county leaders and community members to find solutions.
Read: High-speed crash forces cancellation of Winter Garden Christmas Parade
The town hall meeting will take place inside Carver Middle School at 6:30 p.m. Monday.
Felder believes school brawls are a problem in central Florida.
A resident Channel 9 spoke with agreed the change needs to happen.
Read: OCPS officials warn students bogus threats have serious consequences
âAnd to be honest with you, there is a change that needs to take place in the region. The children are fighting. They fought when we were at school years ago. But it was different, âsaid resident Annie Carlton.
Channel 9 will have a team at Monday’s meeting and will bring you updates when they are available.
Read: More than a dozen students arrested for violence and threats at schools in central Florida on Thursday
Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, click here to download the WFTV Now app for your smart TV and click here to live stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News.